As we mourn the loss of a Nollywood veteran, a legendary actor, producer, and director, Saint Obi, who was widely regarded as one of the most talented actors in Nollywood and a role model for young people in Nigeria many of whose childhoods he affected on screen, we also celebrate a life well lived.
Saint Obi lived to be 57 years of age, here we have highlighted fifty seven facts regarding his life and career to celebrate those years and pay tribute to the life of this legend;
1. Saint Obi’s real name was Obinna Nwafor.
2. He was born on November 16, 1965, in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria.
3. Saint Obi was a native of Okpa, a small town in MbaitoloLocal Government Area of Imo State in the southeastern part of Nigeria.
4. Saint Obi’s parents are Mazi Melford Nwafor and Lolo Millicent Nwafor.
5. Saint Obi is the only son in a family of nine children. He has eight sisters and was the only male child in the family.
6. He spoke and understood his native language Igbo fluently, as well as Hausa.
7. He grew up in Jos, Plateau State, in the northern part of Nigeria.
8. He studied Theatre Arts at the University of Jos.
9. He completed his primary school education in Jos, Plateau State, and obtained his First School Leaving Certificate.
10. He was actively involved in drama, stage play, and performing arts while still in secondary school.
11. Saint Obi’s dream was to become a professional actor.
12. He admired several British, American, and Hollywood actors and wanted to become famous when he grew up
13. Saint Obi came into the acting scene in 1996, after doing a commercial for Peugeot on NTA.
14. He has starred in over 60 movies, including Candle Light, Sakobi, Goodbye Tomorrow, Heart of Gold, Festival of Fire, Executive Crime, and Last Party.
15. Saint Obi’s appearance in nollywood movie State Of Emergency, alongside his fellow actors J.T Tom West and Bruno Iwuona (who have also transitioned to the next life), sealed his reputation as one of Nollywood’stop action figures.
16. In 2001, Saint Obi produced his first movie titled Take Me to Maama, where he starred as Jerry, alongside Ebi Sam and Rachel.
17. Saint Obi participated in the Nigerian movie industry popularly known as Nollywood for over two decades.
18. He was an internationally acclaimed veteran Nigerian actor, producer, director and film executive.
19. He was widely regarded as one of the most talented actors in Nollywood.
20. Saint Obi was known for his good looks and charming personality.
21. Saint Obi was 6 feet 2 inches tall (183 cm).
22. He weighed 72 kg (158 lbs).
23. Saint Obi was married to Lydia Saint Nwafor. They got married in December 2006.
24. He was later divorced, and has three children – two sons and one daughter.
25. He is widely credited as one of the pioneers of the Nigerian movie industry.
26. Saint Obi was renowned for his excellent portrayals of tough character roles.
27. He was also known as Mr. Quality.
28. He was referred to as the Nigerian James Bond.
29. Saint Obi was a philanthropist and was known to have been involved in several charitable causes.
30. He was known to be very private with his personal life and affairs.
31. He was a member of the Actors Guild of Nigeria.
32. Saint Obi in his lifetime won several awards for his contributions to the Nigerian movie industry.
33. Saint Obi has been described as one of the most handsome actors in Nollywood.
34. He was also a businessman and entrepreneur.
35. Saint Obi was a Christian and was vocal about his faith.
36. He was also a motivational speaker and spoke at several events.
37. Saint Obi was a fitness enthusiast and was known to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
38. He has a large following on social media, with over 100,000 followers on Instagram.
39. Saint Obi has been featured in several Nigerian newspapers and magazines.
40. He was also a brand ambassador for several companies.
41. Saint Obi has been described as a role model for young people in Nigeria.
42. He was also a mentor to several up-and-coming actors in Nollywood.
43. Saint Obi was involved in several controversies over the years, including a feud with fellow actor, Emeka Ike.
44. He was absent from the screens for a number of years.
45. Saint Obi was a musician and released some songs in collaboration with other artists.
46. He is known for singing one of the most popular songs, Ngegele Obi Nwa, from old nollywood and also acting alongside Olu Jacobs, Patience Ozokwor, Bob Manuel in a movie titled Royal Palace (2005) where this song was performed.
47. In 2015, he announced his entry into the music industry and released three new songs to mark his birthday.
48. He was known to be kind and friendly with his fans and admirers, whenever approached or called on in public or private.
49. Saint Obi started acting at the age of 31 years old.
50. Many Nigerians were looking forward to Saint Obi’s comeback to new Nollywood.
51. He passed away on May 7, 2023, at the age of 57.
52. He is said to have passed away after a battle with an unspecified illness.
53. His death was a shock to many Nigerians, and tributes poured in from fans and colleagues alike.
54. Since his passing there have been tributes pouring in online from his colleagues such as actors and filmmakers all over Nigeria for Saint Obi.
55. He broke barriers, shattered stereotypes, and paved the way for future generations of actors and filmmakers.
56. The Nigerian film industry has suffered a great loss with the passing of Saint Obi.
57. Saint Obi’s legacy in the Nigerian movie industry will always be remembered.
It is with heavy and grieving hearts that we say goodbye to a beloved celebrity and man of action who touched the lives of so many. Saint Obi was not only well known, but also respected and loved by his fans. His talent and contributions to Nollywood will never be forgotten. He will always be remembered for his brilliant talent on screen, his kindness, generosity, and the joy he brought to so many people’s lives. He will be deeply missed, but his legacy will live on forever. Saint Obi will forever remain Nollywood’s one and true Mr Quality.